How To Name Objects
Names for objects defined in the Object Dictionary must conform to the following conventions:
- The name can be from 1 to 18 characters in length.
- The name can contain only letters (a-z, A-Z), digits (0-9), dollar signs ($), and underscores (_).
- The name must begin with a letter or a dollar sign.
- Most names must be unique among objects of the same type in the same application directory. (Note that the software is case-insensitive: ABC and abc are the same name.) For more information, see the documentation for your operating system.
- The name does not duplicate words reserved to the software’s use, such as a command or function keyword (CREATE, $isalphabetic).
Examples of Object Names
Examples of valid names are
Compare these to the following invalid names:
- ProjectControl 56/8